How to get on the front page of Hacker News
1 min read
- Create high-value content that people will love and want to share.
- Your headline should be direct and straightforward. “How Jane grew her company from $0 to $1,000 MRR in 60 days”.
- When submitting, put the name and the direct URL. Don’t use any URL shortener.
- You will be in the newest section of HackerNews as soon as you post. Send this link (http://news.ycombinator.com/newest) to at least 20 people you know will upvote or submit it, from different locations. If you ask everyone in the office or the same location to upvote, this will result in 1 upvote as they have the same IP address. Maybe asking them to use mobile internet for upvoting will get around this.
- Once you hit 5 or 6 upvotes, you should get to the first or second page within the first five to ten minutes.
- Next you need to change the link (http://news.ycombinator.com/news) and send the frontpage to people when asking to upvote in the future. Try to send it to another ten people, but make sure they are all at different locations.
- By now, you are 20-30 minutes in since posting, and if you have written something interesting, you will gain natural traction. If not, there is nothing anyone can do for you.
Two important points to remember!
- You only get one upvote for each IP address. Asking everyone in the office/same location to upvote your post will result in only 1 upvote. If you post from that same IP, then possibly none.
- Don’t send someone a direct link (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24551962) to your post, as this will results in an invalid upvote. Anyone who upvotes from a direct link will not be counted towards your post.